Thursday, February 2, 2017

Birth of My Spirit Dolls

I recently started studies on the Druid path, and for my altar I wanted a statue of goddess Brigid. I didn't want to buy a statue, so I decided to make one with materials I already had on hand, which happened to be an enormous stash of wool roving! I needle felted Brigid for my Imbolc altar. 
But then I realized I enjoyed the process of creating dolls so much, I could not stop.

Different spirits wanted to manifest through wool sculpture, so I began to create several more dolls. Each doll had her own voice, and would guide me on how she wanted to look, what colors to use, etc.
made my first doll twenty years again when first moved to Seattle (I don't have a picture of her but I remember her button face!) She was made from red satin and purple velvet fabrics, and was filled with lavender. It is interesting to me that twenty years later I have been called to create these spirit dolls using my favorite medium, wool roving. And I thank the goddess Brigid stirring up Awen (the creative spirit) in me!




No comments:

Post a Comment